- Davarian Baldwin, ‘Black Empires, White Desires: The Spatial Politics of Identity in the Age of Hip-Hop’, in Forman and Neal (2012). keywords: afrocentricism; commodification; conspicuous consumption (pp. 231 [on the ‘promise’ of a politics of consumption], 239, ); culture industry (p. 231 [as a putative ‘site for black institution-building and contestation’]); gangsta rap; Ghettocentric turn, the; ‘ghettocentricity’; Moynihan Report; ‘nation-conscious’ rap; Native Tongues collective; nihilism
- Notes on Story Maps
- Choose ONE artist, event, or song.
- Map locations more specific than, say, Atlanta, GA; or Compton, CA.
- Q&A: Black Empires, White Desires
- Reading Notes for Next Time
- Matt Miller, ‘Rap’s Dirty South: From Subculture to Pop Culture’, in Forman and Neal (2012)